- A chick that will grow into a cock can be spotted the very day it hatches.
- A child's fingers are not scalded by a piece of hot yam which his mother
puts into his palm.
- An old woman is always uneasy when dry bones are mentioned in a proverb.
- A man who pays respect to the great paves the way for his own greatness.
- A proud heart can survive a general failure because such a failure does
not prick its pride.
- As the dog said, 'If I fall down for you and you fall down for me, it is
- Do not look where you fell, but where you slipped.
- If a child washes his hands he could eat with kings.
- If you don't stand for something, you will fall for something.
- Looking at a king's mouth one would never think he sucked his mother's
- People should not talk while they are eating or pepper may go down the
- The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory.
- The lizard that jumped from the high iroko tree to the ground said he would
praise himself if no one else did.
- The mouth which eats does not talk.
- The sun will shine on those who stand before it shines on those who kneel
- Those whose palm-kernels were cracked for them by a benevolent spirit should
not forget to be humble.
- When a man says yes, his chi (personal god) says yes also.
- When the moon is shining the cripple becomes hungry for a walk.
- You can tell a ripe corn by its look.
- You must judge a man by the work of his hands.